OOL’s (Olive Oil Lady’s ) REAL DEAL Greek Salad
Imagine sitting by the seaside in Greece, in a quaint little taverna and you order, among other things, Greek Salad (no comparison to the North American version). Prepare to be met with a feast for the eyes: brilliant colours of red, green, black, white, pink nestled under a slab of mouth-watering Feta and a healthy dose of extra virgin olive oil. Bring Greece to your table with the ‘Real Deal’ Greek Salad as described by the OOL (Olive Oil Lady), below. Kali O’rexi! (good appetite!)
You will need: A serving bowl or platter for two
Ingredients (skip the extra prep bowl and layer ingredients on your platter in this order):
- 2 juicy ripe tomatoes, washed and cut into quarters
- ½ red onion sliced and rings separated
- 1 cubanelle (sweet pepper) or med. green pepper washed, seeds removed and cut into thin slices
- 4-5 Kalamata olives with pits
- 1” thick x 3” x 4” slab of rinsed goat, sheep or a combination of both Feta cheese (*see note below)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil Lady olive oil as a lovely finishing oil poured on top
- ½ tsp dried oregano sprinkled
- (salt is optional)
Serve with baguette slices for dipping in the scrumptious juices while enjoying this salad.
Note * In 2002 Greek Feta was awarded the DOP (Protected Designation of Origin) in Europe, which means that unless the feta is preserved in a salt brine and consists of either goat or sheep milk, it is not to be sold as FETA…..in other words: cow’s milk feta is NOT the ‘real deal’.